Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hiccup!

The hiccups!  Everyone gets them from time to time.  These loud bursts seem uncontrollable and are usually more annoying than anything.  And, have you ever noticed that as soon as you get them everyone is quick to let you  know how to get rid of them?  "You have the hiccups? Oh! Well, you should...Just take a drink.  Swallow some sugar.  Hold your breath and count to 10.  Stand on your head.  Hang off of your bed and drink a glass of water upside down while holding your nose.  (Makes me LAUGH every time I get them!)

While Barak and I lived in Colorado I worked at Focus on the Family.  Every morning we would have a short devotion and prayer time with our team.  One lady kept asking us to pray for her brother who was a recovering addict.  We had been praying for him during this recovery process and been praising God for how well he was doing.  One day she said that he was struggling again.  I talked briefly to her personally after our prayer time.  When I asked how she felt about her brother's struggle, she said that it was hard, and she was sad, but that it was "Just a Hiccup."  A small setback.  She had no doubt God would keep working and her brother would get back on his journey to God.

The title of this blog is "Happy New You."  I started it to use as a way for me to process through and share my journey of becoming the most Christ-like me as possible.  I shared some goals and was really working towards them.  Well, God has done a lot of work in me and I have made progress in a lot of ways.  However, I am nowhere near where I want to be.  I have fallen short in so many areas.  I've had days where I've had an extremely messy house, gone overboard on the eating of chocolate bars, lost my temper with my kids, and skipped exercise because I "just didn't feel like it."   The HICCUPS.

In these moments it is easy to feel discouraged, and to want to give up.   But, hiccups are temporary.  We needn't give up.  Instead, we need to stop in our tracks and turn to God. Take a deep breath of His grace.  Sit in His peace.  Ask for His wisdom.  Pray for His power. And begin again.  Happy New You, friends!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment