Saturday, March 26, 2011

Daddy Date Night



Today I am cashing in a Christmas present and going on a date with my Dad.  We're going to see Bill Cosby live and then out to dinner.  My family grew up on the "The Cosby Show" and I am so excited to spend some one-on-one time with my dad. 
I must say that I have been extremely blessed by having the dad that I have.  I know that many do not have such a relationship.  I have always been close to my dad, and I know that it was not an accident.  As far back as I can remember my dad has always made an extreme effort make me (and my brother!) a priority.  And looking back, I see that the reason we are so close is because he always made an effort to care about what I cared about.  He made me feel special.  He listened to me, dreamed with me, and walked through the everyday moments of life completely engaged.   He helped me win a science fair (Yay for "The Six Simple Machines!) He built the set for my 4th grade church musical debut (Save Colby's Clubhouse!) He drove my friends to the bowling alley in middle school (In the station wagon... with the seat in the back that faced backwards... Oh, yeah!)  In High School, he even took me shopping for a Semi-formal dress!  My dad was always very strict (I LITERALLY did not ever watch a PG-13 movie until I was 13.  My friends can attest to this.) But, because I knew he loved me so much and respected him I usually ;) obeyed the rules.
Don't get me wrong, we have had a few rough times.  I have hurt his feelings (like when we got to Girl Scout camp and instead of asking him to walk me in I said "you can go now dad." Ouch!) He has upset me, but we have always remained close. 

In college one of my professors, Dr. Paul Fetters, said "The most important decision you will EVER make for your children is who their dad will be."   That one line greatly impacted me.  I always knew I wanted to marry someone who would be an awesome father like my dad, but this really hit home.  When I met Barak he was living with his sister and 3 year old Nephew.  From the moment I saw them together I knew that he would be a good dad.  And now, 10 years and 4 kids later, he has become an amazing dad to our kids.
One of his best qualities as a dad is that he is constantly thinking through how are kids must feel or think about different situations, as well as how what is happening today will affect our future.  Many times he has said to me "I bet Hannah feels...." "I think Joshua is acting that way because...." "I think Gideon needs some extra time with dad..."  "I think Selah feels left out..."  He has carried on the "Daddy date" tradition and loves taking Hannah out and spending quality time with Selah.  Our boys LOVE that I'm having a date with my dad because if means "BOYS NIGHT!" for them. 
Barak often has to remind me NOT to talk about certain things in front of the kids (like how terrible a dentist visit was!)  And something that has spoken volumes to me is that he has literally NEVER been upset over a messy house when he knew I was spending quality time taking care of the kids.
Like every marriage, we have had ups and downs in life, but no matter what we were going through, he always kept the kids a priority.    I know that our kids have absolutely NO doubt that their dad loves them and wants the best for them.  For that, I am so grateful.  I'm sure when my girls are married have kids of their own (Oh my! I'm not ready to even THINK about that!!!) they will love dating their dad too!


I know that this blog is getting crazy long, but I just have to say a few more things.   I know that there are many single moms who struggle with the fact that their child's father is not involved.  I will not pretend to know what you are going through.  However, I do know that there are men who are willing to be a positive example in your child's life.  My dad has been a Boy Scout leader (and is now a Scoutmaster) for almost 20 years (and 8 of those were after my brother had graduated out of the program.)  And last,  not to go all "spiritual" on us, but no matter what our relationship with our earthly father was or is like, our Heavenly Father absolutely wants to spend time with us every day.  He wants to love on us.  He cares about or future. He wants the best for us.
 He wants a "Daddy date" with you!

2 comments: