Sunday, March 20, 2011

Rubber Gloves and Diarrhea

***DISCLAIMER: If you are offended by the title of this blog, then you best just move on.  I hesitated writing this, but friends, this is real life! And I am using this blog as sort of a journal and I definitely needed to remember this!***


Do you know what no one tells you about motherhood? (Besides the netted underwear... but that's for another day!) All of the crap that you will encounter along the way! I'm not talking about the metaphorical "whining, crying, disobeying" crap.  I'm talking about the literal poop.  The diapers, the potty training, the accidents, the wiping of the bottoms... AND, Diarrhea.  (Oh my, I am actually laughing just putting this into words.  But, isn't it soooo true?!)

Tonight around 6:00, my sweet 4 year old Joshua said that he didn't feel well.  He laid down on a blanket and pillow near Barak and I and fell asleep.  About half an hour later he woke up and had thrown up.  Oh no! I thought we were through all of this!  I got him in the bath, put the blanket and clothes in the washer and settled him in on the couch with a bowl. :(   Before I go on, let me just say that he is such an amazing boy when he is sick.  He takes it very well.  He stays in good spirits and I feel so badly for him.
Joshua got sick a few more times and then said "Mom.  I'm sorry but I pooped my pants."  (Note, Joshua is fully potty trained, but hey! Diarrhea is a whole different game.) So I changed his underwear and convinced him to wear a pull up.  About 10 minutes later, another accident.  So, I took him into the bathroom and took off the pull-up to change him.  Just as I was throwing it away, he started to throw up.  So, I grabbed the bowl and he squated down and used the bowl.  Well, this is wear it got gross.  While he was squatting he had a huge #2 accident.  I told him it was ok, and had him move over while I started to clean up.  As he moved it happened again! We're talking the floor, walls, everything! (I know, a little too much info.  Sorry!)   I got him cleaned up and put him in the bathtub again.  Then grabbed a roll of paper-towels (This was NO time to be eco-friendly) and my rubber gloves.  I finally got most of it cleaned up and was down to the disinfecting portion of my clean up.  I'm on my hands and knees with rubber gloves and trash bag full of stinky paper towels and look up to see Selah drawing on a Magna-Doodle in bed.  Then she says "Look at my picture mom! The girl pooped all over the sink! GROSS!"

That was it.  My disgust and exhaustion turned to laughter.  I laughed and laughed. I just stopped and thought "Is this really happening?! Hilarious!"  And all the while my sweet Joshua just quietly took his bath.
A few minutes later I got him out and settled back on the couch.  He finally fell asleep and I thought "It is all SO worth it. Crap and all."  I <3 my sweet Joshua (and the other three too!)

1 comment:

  1. Two things: The part about Selah's magnadoodle drawing CRACKED me up!! Belly laughs!! And I've made a mental note to sit my kids on the toilet while they barf ... you never know what might come out the other end! lol

    ReplyDelete