Saturday, February 12, 2011

Alarm Will Sound

Today after my son's swim meet we met my mom at Pizza Hut for lunch (YUM!).  After we finished eating my mom used the restroom and I was getting a salad for my husband.  I looked over and saw my son looking out the back door. You know, the "fire" door with the big sign on it that says "If you open this door the alarm will sound."  I shook my head in an emphatic "NO!."  As I was paying for the salad I looked over and saw him with his hand on the handle.  I started saying "Do not touch that........" and then "OOOOO OHHHHHHH OOOOOOOOO OHHHHHHHHH.  The siren started going off!  Of course the whole restaurant looked over.  The manager came and turned it off.  As we were walking out I overheard a mom saying "See, that is why you aren't suppossed to touch that.  Because the alarm goes off.  Like that kid just did."
*Sigh*
Surprisingly, I really wasn't mortified by this whole experience.  I have definitely had WAY worse happen in my 7 1/2 years of parenting, and I happened to be in a very good mood. (Lucky for him!)  But I started thinking.  Why did he do that? The sign clearly says "Do not open. Alarm will sound." And then he had to do it.  As if since it said NOT to, he wanted to do it more.  If it said "OPEN THIS DOOR." I'm sure he wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Aren't we the same way?  Our spouse asks us to do something extra for them.  Our boss tells us the way things should be. While praying for answers to a dilema in life we hear a quiet whisper from God that would require sacrifice and radical obedience... and we walk the other way.  The rebel in us says "Yeah right, you aren't going to tell me what to do!"

  I know this is a shocker but I'm actually a pretty "strong willed" person. I know.  Ha. Ha.  Ok, back on track.  As much as I hate to admit it, I like to do things my way. Sometimes this means I end up not listening to what my husband, or a trusted friend, or God says.  And I usually regret it.
In John 14:23 Jesus said, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching." I'm praying for a heart that wants to obey Him at ALL times. Because I love Him, and because I want His best for my life.  I'm praying this for my son too... Yes, so he can experience abundant life in Christ. And....Yes, so I will not have to experience the embarrassement of the alarm going off again in Pizza Hut.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment