Friday, April 22, 2011

Nothing Good About It

Lately I've had a new focus on trying to get my body back in shape.  I don't have time for "The Biggest Loser" kind of focus, but I've been working hard to stick with it.  Not only for my physical health, but my emotional health as well (and the sanity of those who interact with me every day!)  It has been going pretty well, and really has started becoming a normal part of my routine. I've been mostly committed and seeing some results.

Well, yesterday, it came time to run.  I knew I needed to do it.  I knew I would be glad that I did it.  BUT I DID NOT WANT TO DO IT!  The truth is, I'm going through some rough stuff (as most of us do at one time or another!)  and my feeling was "NO WAY!!!"   After some serious battling with myself, I decided to head out for a jog around the "loop" by my house.  1.8 miles.  It has a big hill up about halfway, and then a big hill down.  It's usually enough that I feel like I've at least done something, but not horrible.  So, off I go.

And about 3/4 of a mile in I see the big hill.  And I'm telling you, I chocked up.  I literally almost cried.  I just didn't want to do this.  My body was filled with the emotions of the "stuff" in life, and I just felt like I couldn't do it.  But, I kept going.  I thought, "no pain, no gain, right?"  I prayed "Ok God, help me get through this." And, then this came over me...

Without Good Friday, there would never be Easter Sunday.

That may seem like it had nothing to do with running, but it had everything to do with what was holding me back. There are parts of life that really seem like there is NOTHING good about them.   We feel discouraged.  We feel defeated.  We feel alone.  While all of our situations in life differ, one thing rings true across the board.We look at that hill and think, "there is NO WAY I want to do this."


Mark 14:33-36

He (Jesus) took Peter, James, and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. "My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death," he said to them. "Stay here and keep watch." 
Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him, "Abba, Father," he said "everything is possible for you.  Take this cup from me.  Yet not what I will, but what you will."

Even Jesus felt sorrow. Trouble. Distress.   It's easy for us to call today "Good Friday" because we have experienced the joy of the new life it brings.  We have know the joy of Resurrection Sunday.  But, really, there was nothing good about today.  There was nothing that felt good in the moment about Jesus being nailed to the cross.  And today, there is nothing that feels good about facing life's issues head on.  But, sometimes... Without trouble, there isn't healing. Without death, there isn't life.  Without Good Friday, there wouldn't be an Easter Morning.

1 comment:

  1. Call it "prayer running", dual purpose running...good for your body, good place to talk to God. People probably think I'm crazy when I walk because I just might be talking to God out loud or visibly crying.

    I'm for real praying for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete